Monday, March 29, 2010

Why does liberty mean so much to me? A slice of family history

I get very agitated when I see politicians – Republicans, Democrats or those of any other stripe – enacting legislation which tears down the fundamental principles upon which this country was founded.  Why does it bother me so much?  Many of the reasons I could cite are reasons I share with most other conservatives in this country, but some of the reasons are much more personal.

My ancestors were some of the earliest European émigrés to America.  They helped to settle the New York colony, and fought actively for America’s independence.

Michael Weigand, along with others of his religious community, came to the New World to escape the political tyranny and religious persecution of 18th century Europe.  With his family, he left his homeland in the Rhine river area (modern Germany) after being burned out three times in ten years by the armies of Louis XIV.  As refugees they fled through Holland to England.

Queen Ann took pity on them and granted the group a tract of land along the Hudson River where they settled in 1708.  The settlement they helped to develop eventually became Newburgh, New York.

Map of land granted by Queen Anne - divided by family

Later, several of Michael’s descendants fought against the British in the War of Independence.  John, Martin, Matthew, Michael (a grandson) and Tobias Wygant all served as enlisted men in the New York militia.  Their unit was called out many times over the course of the War to defend their homes and families.

Martin owned a tavern in Newburgh
Weigands tavernwhich served as a rendezvous point for the Fourth Regiment, and for a time allowed General Anthony Wayne to headquarter in his home.  George Washington himself set up a headquarters in Newburgh at the Hasbrouck House during the last year and a half of the war.
While this might seem like distant history, it has great meaning for me because these are my people.  My ancestors endured great tribulation leaving their homeland and helping to settle this country.  And they went to war to maintain the right to govern themselves.

Now our Congress, and a President who seems to care nothing for the history and traditions of this country and its people, want to undermine that right to self-governance.  As a nation founded on the ideals of self-government we cannot allow this to stand.  As John Adams reminds us, once freedom is surrendered it is very difficult to regain.

Many other families in this country have ancestral stories similar to mine.  Share your stories.  Share them with your representative in Congress.  Send them to the President.  Remind our leaders that they serve us, and that we (and our ancestors) are not amused.

3 comments:

  1. I really like these stories of your family. I need to find out more about my Revolutionary War ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve, Just read your blog. Right on! I have always wondered why such a monumental bill could pass without a vote from the people. I guess we know who not to vote for next election. I don't care what each politician has done in the past, if they voted for health care they won't get my vote. I find it humorous that every time I get a letter from the republican party it always end with "check the amount you are contributing" Hey, quit spending so much of my money and I could afford to contribute. Well done, Scott

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve,

    Sorry to be so slow to respond. I LOVE it. It is so interesting, you write very well.

    I too have family who fought in these battles, hopefully someday I will be able to do what you are doing--in the meantime keep me posted.

    Thanks for including me.

    Dawn

    ReplyDelete

Please add your thoughts.